August 12, 2023
Healing your gut is the first step toward improved health, especially if you’re wanting to lose some weight. From probiotics to healthy fats, here’s our list of the best foods for gut health and weight loss:
The probiotics found in the fermented foods listed below are crucial for a healthy gut. This live bacteria helps to maintain an optimal gut microbiome, which can also boost your immune system and keep your heart and skin healthy.
1. Yogurt or Kefir– Make sure you pick a product that says something like “live and active cultures” on the label.
2. Sauerkraut or Kimchi– Fermented cabbage in the form of sauerkraut or kimchi may be a bit of an acquired taste, but there are many ways to enjoy it, like piled onto a burger or served with fried rice!
3. Kombucha– This carbonated drink is a great thing to swap out your sugary sodas and energy drinks for, which can help with your weight loss journey.
4. Tempeh– a great plant-based source of both protein and probiotics! Made from soybeans, tempeh is also rich in the B vitamins, magnesium, and other nutrients
Prebiotics work together with probiotics to ensure your gut remains healthy. These fibers are found in fruits and vegetables, along with a plant compound called Polyphenols. They have strong antioxidant properties and support the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut.
5. Onion or Leeks– One of the best things about an onion or a leek is that you can include them in nearly every type of dish, from casseroles to salads, and even eggs!
6. Garlic– Another food that is so easy to add to your meal is fresh garlic. Invest in a good garlic press and start adding garlic to anything and everything!
7. Asparagus– a powerful prebiotic and underrated vegetable! Shaved in a salad or simply roasted in the oven, it’s delicious and requires minimal prep.
Fiber helps keep you regular and makes you feel fuller for longer, making it one of the best foods for gut health and weight loss.
8. Berries– Fruits and vegetables are naturally high in fiber, but raspberries and other berries are especially beneficial.
9. Beans– Legumes and lentils are easy to add to soups and salads and are generally versatile for many cuisines such as Mexican or Greek dishes.
These foods are perfect for reducing inflammation and the irritating symptoms that can lead to IBS or Crohn’s.
10. Salmon– a lean protein source rich in antioxidants; also a great option to incorporate into your diet for weight loss.
11. Green Tea– Boost your metabolism with green tea! Plus, it contains powerful antioxidants for overall gut health.
12. Spinach or other Leafy Greens– Broccoli and kale are two more examples of leafy greens beneficial for gut health and weight loss.
Omega-3s and other healthy fats are crucial for a healthy gut! Not only are they beneficial for GI issues but also effective for losing weight.
13. Avocados– This is your excuse to order extra guacamole with your meal! Seriously though, add more avocado to your diet for an added dose of healthy fats!
14. Olive Oil– Cooking things like chicken and vegetables with olive oil is a good substitute rather than butter.
15. Nuts or Seeds– Foods like almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and chia seeds are full of healthy fats as well as fiber!
Now that you have this list of some of the best foods for gut health and weight loss, you’re well on your way to beginning your wellness journey. Please reach out to us for additional information and support. We’re here to help!